Columbus Day Celebration at Aldersly
|When the Danish benevolent group who first established Aldersly way back in 1921 set down their founding principles, they were guided by a centuries-old heritage—one firmly focused around the health and well-being of the entire, extended family.
A fundamental tenet of this European tradition is its deep, abiding respect and compassion for the elderly. And while the Aldersly of today encompasses a far more culturally diverse population, the straightforward wisdom of our original charter is constantly reaffirmed.
Aldersly is located at:
326 Mission Avenue,
San Rafael, CA 94901 USA
On October 12, 2006 Aldersly, a San Rafael, California, garden retirement community with a European heritage, situated in an intimate setting near the Dominican University campus, celebrated Columbus Day with an Italian wine tasting followed by an excellent Italian dinner prepared by Chef Hugo Salazar.
WineCountry.IT was happy to be the purveyor of the imported quality Italian wines poured during the tasting as well as during the dinner.
The event was a huge success, thanks to the great work of Independent Living Activity Director, Gina Pandiani, Sherry Sausedo, Assisted Living Activity Director, JoAnne Maxwell, Executive Director, Chef Hugo Salazar, all Aldersly management and employees and, of course, to the quality of the wines poured.
Anna Johnson, of Danish origin, who will be 100 years old next February, and who has lived happily at Aldersly for the last 35 years, made a comment that made our day, when she said, "This was the best party that we have had in my 35 years of living here. We should have this once a week."
Director and WineCountry.IT's Brigit Solé-March
(See more pictures)
The wines poured for the tasting, which lasted from 4:30 to 7PM, Thursday, October 12, 2006, were, in order:
- Prosecco Spumante Brut IGT "Nibesa", produced by La Bottega del Fae' (sparkling, from Veneto),
- Soave Classico DOC 2004, by Azienda Agricola T•E•S•S•A•R•I (white, from Veneto),
- Langhe Arneis DOC 2005, by Azienda Agricola Gagliardi Piero (white, from Piedmont),
- Monferrato Bianco DOC "Solaluce" 2005, by Azienda Agricola Colledoro (white, from Piedmont),
- Gavi di Gavi DOCG "Pilin" 2000, by Castellari Bergaglio (an amazing aged white, from Piedmont),
- Ca' Andrea IGT Umbria 2004, by Carlo Massimiliano Gritti (red, Sangiovese-grape-based, from Umbria) and
- Poventa DOC Valdichiana, by Azienda Agricola Buccelletti (red, Sangiovese-grape-based, from Tuscany).
Columbus Day Menu
The wines served with the dinner (SEE MENU) were:
- Vermentino di Sardegna DOC, by Romangia Cantina Cooperativa (white, from the island region of Sardinia) and
- Merigge Toscana IGT, by Azienda Agricola Buccelletti (red, from Tuscany).
Below are the average scores based on a 10-point scale assigned during the afternoon tasting. Of course, the wines served for dinner were not scored, as we were all too busy enjoying them paired with the delicious dinner prepared by Chef Hugo Salazar.
|Wine Name||Producer||Region||Type||Highest Score||Lowest Score|
|Poventa DOC Valdichiana 2003||Azienda Agricola Buccelletti||Tuscany||Red||10||6.5|
|Gavi di Gavi DOCG "Pilin" 2000||Castellari Bergaglio||Piedmont||White||10||5|
|Ca' Andrea IGT Umbria 2004||Carlo Massimiliano Gritt||Umbria||Red||9.5||6|
|Monferrato Bianco DOC "Solaluce" 2005||Azienda Agricola Colledoro||Piedmont||White||10||4|
|Langhe Arneis DOC 2005||Azienda Agricola Gagliardi Piero||Piedmont||White||10||5|
|Soave Classico DOC 2004||Azienda Agricola T•E•S•S•A•R•I||Veneto||White||9||5|
|Prosecco Spumante Brut IGT "Nibesa"||La Bottega del Fae'||Veneto||Sparkling||8.5||2||7.12|
WineCountry.IT looks forward to repeating the experience, peraphs not once a week as Anna suggested, but often enough to please the Aldersly residents, keeping them happy and in good spirit.